Why Choose Media & Communication Arts?
Are you game-ready for the fast-changing world of global media and cultural industry? Our program is designed to provide a thorough understanding of the skills needed to succeed in today’s dynamic, digital media industries. You’ll be honing core industry skills such as storytelling, research methodology, and the ability to creatively articulate abstract concepts. You will learn to work within multi-channel networks in the field of digital convergence. Learning the fundamentals and how to apply them will provide you with the skills necessary to negotiate the broadcast, film and entertainment landscapes and be uniquely qualified in multi-platform media for our online, always-connected world.
The Department of Global Media & Communication Arts prepares students to use modern media communication arts to serve the artistic, cultural, educational, and informational needs of contemporary society. The program involves both critical theory and creative practice, leading to media content production, circulation, and performance as well as creation of various business opportunities within the new era of “digital technology convergence.”
Students are expected to work successfully in both critical theory courses and production activities. Graduates of the program will be prepared for employment opportunities locally and globally in the broadcasting, film and various other entertainment industries, in cable and on-line media, in video and audio production, and other areas related to global media and the cultural industries. Our graduates stand out worldwide as quality professionals in the “Korean Wave” as industry experts, performers, and marketers.
Unique Educational Opportunities
- Study abroad programs and global internships
- Specialized classes with top-level media professionals (television and film directors, producers, cinematographers, editors, etc.)
- Specialized curriculum for the production of broadcasting, film, performance, and entertainment content
- Specialized activities for understanding the “Korean Wave” at the expert level
- Professional quality instructional laboratories including a 3D and HD multi- camera television studio, an array of field production equipment, post-production workstations, and a large-scale concert hall facility
- Educate global digital media specialists
- Understand new media and cultural industry within the context of the fine and popular arts, contemporary technology, and the humanities
- Study global media production trends
- Direct and produce creative content within the converging digital media, global culture, and latest contemporary information technologies
Potential Career Paths
Graduates of our department are ready to work:
- In media and cultural organizations around the world, and will include some of the top film, TV production, journalism, network, and entertainment companies.
- At jobs in exciting careers: planning, directing, story- telling, script writing and producing high quality media and cultural content.
- As screen writers, cultural critics and entertainment analysts.
- In the new media broadcast industry, as content business planners, as well as culture and media department administrators.
Quick Facts: 2017
- Currently the only department in Korea that offers English taught programs in this field
- Focus on training leaders for multi-channel network fields
- Knowledge of media contents in production in Korean and within global media companies
- Special lectures from top-level media professionals (directors, producers etc.)
- Critical theory & creative practice leading to MCN content production, consumption, circulation, performance & Business
|Media||MCN Content Production, Media and Technology Convergence|
|Management||Production Management, Media and Technology, Social Media and Big Data Analysis, Understanding MCN, Global Media Business Research|
|Computer||3D Animation, Photoshop, Illustrator, UI/UX Design and Production, Games and Prototyping|
|Production||Lighting and Sound Design, Video Production, Production Design Practices|
|Practical||Post-Production Workshop, Interactive Experiences, Visual Storytelling Workshop,|
|K-wave||Korean Wave and Audiences, Global Culture Industry|
- Expert Korean Wave analysis
- Production of Media and cultural content
- Cinematography and editing
- Knowledge about broadcasting and film producing
- Online media management
- Insights on global and digital convergence
- Graphic design
- Screen-writing and script writing
- Planning, directing storytelling
- Swiss German University – Indonesia
- Shih-Chien University – Taiwan
- Management & Science University - Malaysia
Potential Career Paths:
- TV and drama production
- Staff in professional entertainment companies
- Culture and media department administrator
- Content business planner
- Cultural / movie critic and analyst
- Entertainment analyst
- Screen/script writer
- Korean wave industry expert / performer/ marketer
- Film & Entertainment industries
- Cable and on-line media professional
- Video and audio production expert